Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sympathy Snow Days

Hawaii may not have snow days, but I sure have been cooped up in the house as if it does! I've termed this "Sympathy Snow Days" after the concept of sympathy labor pains. Although the weather here in Hawaii has been gorgeous, I've been trapped in my house since Sunday afternoon... not by my choosing.

After the Hawaiian health lecture I attended, I finished out my Sunday at home because I was feeling slightly under the weather (how's that for irony? Leaving a health lecture feeling ill, and being "under the weather" in gorgeous weather). Come Sunday evening, by boss gives me a call and asks if I would be willing to work from home on Monday because his office is not yet finished (asbestos cleanup) and his wife has an all-day meeting off-campus so there will be no way to get me to and from. I say sure... I mean, I like sleeping in and working in pjs!

Tuesday rolls around and I wake up feeling awful! I call my boss and ask if I can have a personal day because I think I have the stomach flu (which I did). He agrees, and I'm home for day #2. Wednesday rolls around and I'm finally excited to be going to work, just to get out of the house, when about a half-hour before my normal pickup time my boss calls and says that there's a lot of construction going on at my building, plus office drama for our partner organization (that works in my building) so it might just be better if I work from home. Day 3, and counting. Last night my boss called me around 10:30pm (I'm glad I was still awake), and said he'd be working from home today, so I might as well plan on working from home too. Ugh. Day #4 of being at home.

I like working at home, but I'm starting to go stir crazy and have cabin fever! What makes it worse is that right outside my window I can see the bright blue ocean, see the gorgeous weather, feel the warmth coming through my window... but I'm stuck at home. I could walk down the mountain, but where would I go? And then I'd just have to walk right back up again. If I have to work from home tomorrow, I'm for sure busting out of this joint even if it's just to hike up and down this dang mountain. I'm not going to be able to take it much longer. Hopefully, though, I'll be sprung from this joint tonight for Tai Chi. It's my one cultural refuge, and it calms and re-energizes me.

Keep your fingers crossed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment