Monday, February 7, 2011

Paroled for a Day

If you've been following this blog recently, you'll know that I have been more-or-less "under house arrest"/"having sympathy snow days"/"on a secluded island known as my house" for the majority of the past week-and-a-half. My cabin-fever days even extended into Thursday evening, of which I was hoping to be sprung to attend Tai Chi (of which Gary & Karen usually attend too), but no such luck. I found out later that they completely forgot about Tai Chi and were on the other side of the island, despite me emailing and calling Gary earlier in the day to see if we were still going to Tai Chi.

Friday, I did - finally - get to go to work, but I almost (ALMOST) wish I would've stayed home. First off, Friday's are never the day you want to go into work, especially for the first time that week. Secondly, Fridays are the days that FETCH (the other organization in my building) holds their youth camps, meaning a bunch of youth roaming around, being loud, and coming in "just to see what [I'm] doing." Lastly, with all the organizational drama that's afoot here these days, the last thing I wanted to do was to be dropped into the middle of it. But no one ever asked me.

It wasn't a horrible day, just extremely long after working from home all week, and tense-filled with all the collective stress from the drama and youth programming. I mostly stuck to myself and my work, but was brought into the fray by the Executive Director (E.D.) of FETCH by her volunteering me to do something (without telling me) during their youth programming even though she didn't ask me nor am I officially a part of her organization. I was informed of this by Lee, of whom after I informed her that I wasn't going to be assisting during the youth programming (I had too much of my own work to do, I couldn't stay that late, I know nothing about their programming, and I wasn't asked) decided to vent to me about how FETCH's E.D. does this all the time, in addition to venting frustration in general.

Like I said, I almost wish I would've stayed home. At least there my day is my own, even if it's cabin-fever filled. To be honest, busting out of "house arrest" for 8 hours only to have to deal with the drama of my building isn't exactly what one thinks of as a good way of spending their freedom. Just sayin'. I don't even count this as being "paroled" - it's more like when prison's release prisoner's for cleaning up highways or plowing fields and then send them right back. I was released for work and then immediately sent back.

I was hoping that Gary would at least invite me out to dinner with them (they were going out to dinner) or let me borrow one of the vehicles to run my errands I had asked to run earlier in the week, but no. No discussion. I was taken home with the promise of "We'll see you Sunday for church. Have a good weekend." Seriously? They know that I can't do anything without them chauffeuring me around. What do they think I'm going to do stuck up on the mountain? And no, I don't mind eating Easy Mac for the billionth time in a row, or the fact that my food supply has taken a hit since you've had me work from home the majority of this week, but no big deal. *rolls eyes*

So let me tell you what I was grateful for this weekend. The Super Bowl. Yes, that's right... the iconic American event. I intellectually understand that there are for more pressing topics in the world that deserve the type of audience the Super Bowl reels in, and that Egypt and other countries experiencing turmoil did not press pause on their lives to watch a sporting event, but I indulged in an American past-time, and took advantage of my "parole."

After attending church with Gary, Karen, his mother and aunt (who are still visiting), I nonchalantly asked if it was still okay that I join them to watch the Super Bowl. Gary, of course, had forgotten all about this promise he made a few weeks ago, but still said it was okay. On a high from getting the key to my jail-break, I innocently asked if it would be okay to use the time before the game started to borrow a car to run my errands I had asked him about on Monday. He profusely apologized about forgetting that I [was human and needed things like food, shampoo, and deodorant] had asked earlier in the week, and agreed to let me run errands. This may not sound like much to anyone else, but I was on cloud 9 anticipating my freedom of the upcoming 9 hours.

Needless to say, I took my time while running errands. I stopped at stores I didn't necessarily need to stop at... just because I could! I went to Barnes n' Noble and perused the shelves... just because I could! I - already at the mall for one of my errands - stopped in cute local boutiques I've never had time for before... just because I could! It was glorious! After I figured I had spent enough time "dilly-dallying" around with my errands, I headed back to Gary's house just in time for the game.

The game was fun. Karen made pizzas, we all had beer (All-American past-time: Football, Pizza, & Beer), the neighbors were hosting a joint Super Bowl/birthday party, and Gary's relatives are really nice. :) I wasn't really rooting for any team in particular so it was exciting anytime anyone made a decent play. It was fun discussing the commercials and performances with Karen and Gary's aunt. I even got to stay after the game and watch the return of Glee (yes, I'm a fan of the show, bite me)!!! A-MAZ-ING!!!

It felt so late after all of that (probably because it usually is pretty late after I get done watching the Super Bowl), that I wasn't upset to head back home even though it was only 7:00pm here in Hawai'i. It was nice, after all that highly engaging social surroundings to go home and relax. My "parole" day made me content after a week of being severely discontent. It kind of rejuvenated me for this up-coming week.

And I know, I know! I basically complained throughout this entire posting. I've already moved my complaint free bracelet. I also know that I am making a bigger deal out of this than need be, and that it could be a lot worse, and that I should be thankful/grateful. I get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment