Sunday, January 30, 2011

Not taking this for granted...

Okay, I admit, some of my last few posts have leaned toward the negative side. However, I want to clarify that this doesn't mean that I'm unhappy with where I'm at.

I'm house sitting for my host-family (they're in Vegas for a Senior Olympics thing). It's been nice having the place to myself and not just hanging out in my room. For the past two nights I've hung out in the living room watching cheesy movies on TV. The design of my host-family's house is pretty open, so when I'm sitting in the living room I can still see the incredible view of the ocean. It's been so gorgeous out in the evening that I decided to take it all in and sit out on the balcony enjoying the weather, the view, and the stars.

Anyone who knows me knows that I love to star-gaze. I get so mesmerized by star-gazing that I can usually do it for hours and not even notice that time has gone by. It's definitely one of my happy places. So, after about a half hour of enjoying the view & weather from the balcony I was about to go inside when I looked straight up and realized it was a beautiful clear evening sky... in Hawaii. Of course I had to capitalize on it! I ended up watching the stars for hours. So long, in fact, that I must have fallen asleep at one point because I woke up on the balcony to the stars (still gorgeous weather) a couple hours later than the previous time I had check the time on my cell phone. *blissful sigh*

It was such an amazing experience that I had to do it again tonight. I didn't fall asleep this time, but I was so amazingly content that I didn't want to get up and go inside once I became tired. This is when I realized how incredibly lucky I am to be where I am. I'm not taking this for granted. There may be some cruddy aspects to what I'm doing here, but when and where is there not? I appreciate the gift/opportunity that has been given to me, and despite the negative aspects, for the remainder of my month and a half left here in Hawaii I refuse to take this experience for granted! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment