Saturday, January 22, 2011

Vacation Over

Kylie left for the mainland today.

It's weird... I only just met her 2 weeks ago, but I made a decent friend. I think it's mostly because we're close(r) in age - she's 20, I'm 25 - and everyone else we know here is significantly older. We were able to bond over being 4-H interns for Gary, knowing the quirkiness of Gary & Karen (good thing), and being tourist/residents of Hawaii. We got to explore the island of O'ahu on our days off, we had someone to socialize with at work and at home... we weren't alone thousands of miles away from everyone we know and care about.

I haven't had the easiest time here in Hawaii... don't get me wrong, it's been AMAZING, but not having anyone to socialize with beyond one's boss & his wife takes a toll. When Kylie was here it felt "normal." I actually enjoyed being in Hawaii and couldn't comprehend why I had "downsides" to being here. It was an amazing time. Then, the moment we dropped her off at the airport, and Gary & Karen dropped me off at home, it hit me harder than a ton of bricks that I was back to not being able to come & go as I pleased, to being chauffeured around, to not having someone to talk/socialize with (especially at work) on a daily basis, that I wouldn't have something to do on the weekend, and since Gary & Karen have family members in town I won't be invited out as much.

I'm making this sound worse than it really is. I really do enjoy being here in Hawaii. :) I was just shocked with the realization that I went from a lifestyle I am used to and enjoy back to the lifestyle I had prior to heading home for the holidays in a matter of seconds and - for some unknown reason - I didn't see it coming. Maybe I'm just saddened because I had a truly AMAZING time exploring and adventuring around last weekend, and this weekend I won't be leaving the house except for church on Sunday. Maybe not. I couldn't tell ya.

Anywho, the vacation is over. Back to the daily grindstone... which is still warmer and sunnier than the majority of the mainland! ;P

No comments:

Post a Comment