Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Weekend Full of Hawaiian Adventure

I've just had an AMAZING weekend! Gary's January intern, Kylie, and I spent the whole weekend exploring the island of O'ahu. We did touristy things, and we did beach things. We had so much fun! All-in-all it was glorious!

Saturday: Karen had a lot of work to catch up on so she told Kylie & I that we could go explore on our own. We went to the swap meet (quickly becoming one of my favorite things to do) and shopped, drove through the H3 tunnel to the Kaneohe side, went to Waikiki to eat at Duke's, shop at the International Market, grab some shaved ice, and hang out at the beach. We watched the sunset (another one of my favorite Hawaiian past-times), watched a hula performance, and then headed home to make homemade Hawaiian pizzas - with real Hawaiian pineapple - for dinner and to watch movies. Great Day!


Sunday: After attending church - where Kylie performed a piece from Handel's Messiah (she's a vocal performance major) - we hiked Diamond Head, hiked to Manoa Falls, and hung out at Sandy Beach (they don't call it "sandy" for nothing... swimsuits full of a sandcastle's worth of sand). We concluded the day with a feast made of leftovers from the past few days, girl talk, and another movie night at my house to allow Gary & Karen some alone time on Gary's first night back in town.


Monday: Gary, Karen, Kylie & I headed up to the North side of the island to shop at this little market, spend the afternoon at Mokuleia Beach, and eat dinner in Haleiwa off of sunset beach. To end the evening, we had another movie night.


Glorious! :)

I do have to say it was a little weird for me not to be doing some sort of service project on MLK Day. I served in some capacity for the past 4 or 5 years, but this year I spent the day at the beach in Hawaii. *guilty face* I've done a lot of service in my lifetime, and currently I am working in a 6-month internship (that works with youth) for free! Ugh, I'm not going to justify it. I had an amazing weekend... AMAZING! And I vow to continue to serve whichever community I live in throughout the year, not just on a particular day of service. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment