Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Loooooooooooong Day!

Boy, am I tired! I just got back from working a 12 hour day! Okay, so maybe I didn't work the entire 12 hours, but still... long day. It was pretty eventful, too. I was originally supposed to go to the 2010 Hawaii Social Media Summit at the Ala Moana Hotel, featuring Jesse Stay - CEO of SocialToo.com, Dan Zelikman - Marketing/Community Host for CivilBeat.com, Nate Riggs - Social Business Strategies, LLC, Rob Bertholf - Chief Search Architect at Chapter Three LLC, Andy Beal - Marketing Pilgrim, Roxanne Darling - Partner of Bare Feet Studios, Eric Baranda - Online Coordinator for Emerging New Media, and Simon Fiddian - CTO at Wavecom Solutions. The Conference was advertised to:
  • Effectively integrate social media to help grow your business
  • Show best practices for gaining exposure, website traffic, and visibility with Social Media Marketing
  • Demonstrate how to take your current or existing social media strategy to the next level
  • Provide best tools and strategies from national and local industry experts
  • Give resources on how to use social media to build a company's brand that customers and clients will recognize
  • Help incorporate video into marketing and grabbing customers' attention before they have a chance to leave
  • etc, etc, etc...
Sounds like it would have been a good one-day local conference to go to, especially since I've worked in Social Media before and that one of my responsibilities here is to try and help in this area. However, Gary forgot to register me in time, so the event ended up being sold out before I was registered. I was disappointed, but I understood. I didn't feel very well today anyway, so it's probably a good thing that I didn't go. Also on the plus side, we still may be able to get some of the materials from the event! :)

In other news, we (as in Hawaii 4-H) are in full swing of our major review. It's going to be a loooooooooong process, so you might see me mention it here and there, but today was an ego-boosting day for me. Remember last week when I posted about spending the majority of my day making an org chart? Well, at the time, the Dean decided to go with a more "official" (and EXTENSIVE) version... the entire departmental organization chart. Trust me when I say it was way more information than the reviewers needed, and was way more complex to boot (12 pages!!)! Well... I was right. The Dean apparently went to Gary today and asked for copies of the version I created last week because the reviewers couldn't make sense of her complicated org chart. She even complimented me (to Gary) on how I was able to make sense out of the jumbled and dysfunctional system they currently have in operation. Yay me!!! :)

Speaking of the org chart... this evening Gary and I went to the monthly Hawaii 4-H Alumni Association meeting. Gary thought it would be a good idea for me to experience and observe the proceedings. Just for clarification, this is not the group that is having all the major problems and resignations (speaking of which, there might be another... more on that later). It was amazing to see a functional group in action. I mean, I've seen them before, but not since arriving in Hawaii! Gary says his theory about why this group functions so well is because they were all in 4-H clubs as youth together and never really stopped. As Gary puts it, they still meet once a month, socialize after the official part of the meeting, and reminisce about the activities they used to do... they still act and meet as a "club." Getting back to the org chart - sorry, I can get off topic sometimes - Gary gave his State Leader's report to the group and presented handouts that included my version of the org chart and the statistics I gathered about the decline in enrollment. The Alumni Association were besides themselves with all the information I gathered, all the work I had done, and that I was able to make sense of all the information and display it in "easy-to-read" ways for those who were not in the middle of it all. Compliments left and right! I tell ya, big ego-boost! I'm not trying to be smug... seriously, it feels nice to be appreciated instead of overlooked (which I've felt more often than I'd like to admit since arriving here in August). Gary and I also distributed 'A Complaint Free World' bracelets to the group. We felt that giving them the bracelets with a short explanation of the concept and information about where they could learn more was good enough for this group (considering they don't have any major conflict).

Speaking of long days and complaint free bracelets... Gary and I have a Leadership Training with the O'ahu County staff on Saturday afternoon/evening. This is the same training that Gary just presented on the big island two weekends ago, and that includes the "Complaint Free Revolution" information and materials. I'm excited to actually be a part of this training because it fits in well with the educational aspect of me being here for my practicum. I'm also kind of excited because I'll get to see the major drama of this organization first hand. Is that weird? I've seen some of it, been the recipient of some of it, and have had my work effected by it, but I have not been in the thick of it. This weekend's training is all about the "thick of it." O'ahu County is the poorest performing county in 4-H, and being that it's on the most populated island, has the most resources (University of Hawaii - Manoa, and the State Government) located here, this presents a major problem when trying to convince officials why 4-H is important and needs more support. Like I've said before, Gary and I have our work cut out for us! Trust me, I'll probably have more to post on this after Saturday!

Yes, it's been a long day, but my days aren't always like this. Most of my days are quite boring actually (as I'm sure many of you have noticed by our chats during my work day). After a month of not having a constant flow of work, I've finally mustered up the motivation to use my "down-time" to work on my RPP (Reflective Practice Phase). I started this afternoon, and began working on my biographical statement and my practicum description for my portfolio. They sound simple enough, but as many of my fellow S.I.T.ers probably know, they can be quite complex. Being productive today - even on something small - felt good. I even scheduled a phone meeting with my advisor, Ken, to discuss certain aspects of my practicum and to ask questions... I figure the reason I've procrastinated so long on doing anything is because I don't have much clarity on what to do. I'm really looking forward to just talking through things with someone so I don't feel so disconnected out here. :)

Okay... sorry for "talking" your "ear" off!!! I guess when one has a long day they have a lot to talk about! Hopefully all of this made sense! Look for updates to come soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment