Sunday, October 3, 2010

Happy German Reunification Day!

Although I am half way around the world from Germany, I want to acknowledge Germany's 20th anniversary of Reunification. I was in Berlin in 2006, and witnessed the Reunification Day celebrations at the Brandenburg Tor (gate). That memory will stay with me, and even now, as I sit here in Honolulu, Hawaii, 4 years later I still want to bring awareness to the significance of this date. For more information on Germany's Reunification click here.

Today was also a day for making new memories. I saw my first live hula dance today. I didn't go out of my way to experience this as it was a performance for World Communion Sunday at church. I thought it was amazingly interesting how almost everyone wore ethnic outfits, brought ethnic food, gave ethnic performances, and we shared in a diverse worship service. This came just at a time where I was becoming disengaged with my motivation for being here, and disenchanted with my school and my degree. Seeing this diverse and cultural celebration - as well as my first hula dance - I remember why I originally became interested in cultural studies and cultural issues. Sometimes we all need a little reminder to keep us motivated and moving forward. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment