Saturday, October 9, 2010

Soooooo beyond frustrated!

*Moving Complaint Free bracelet from one arm to the other*

I am beyond angry, frustrated, flabbergasted.... you name it! I've been at different meetings/presentations all day, and my final one of the day set me off! I just sat through a woman giving a training on "Ethics" who didn't know a thing about it and was the most un-ethical trainer I've ever encountered!

First off, her training wasn't even on ethics, it was on problem solving with a slight moral values twist. Secondly, she sat there spouting off negative stereotypes about Muslims as side-notes to her instructions and then continued to crack jokes about Muslims with a handful of participants during the exercise! Thirdly, besides her obvious views on Muslims, she kept inserting her own morals, values, and beliefs throughout the entire training. I don't know about you, but those of us who took TDEL (Training Design for Experiential Learning) know that the trainer is supposed to remain neutral on specific issues. Seriously!

I was so appalled that I wanted to interject, scream, walk out, and even at one point cry because I was so frustrated. But what did I do? Nothing. I'm ashamed, but at that time I was so taken off guard, and it was a Leadership (even worse, right?) meeting for Livestock clubs, and Gary had just introduced me to this group so I didn't know my place, and I was technically just there for observational purposes... I know, I know! Excuses, excuses. I should've said something, I know. Trust me, I'm equally as mad at myself for not saying something. Honestly though, I don't know if I would've handled it appropriately if I would've spoken up. One could say that's better than doing nothing, but I have to wonder (in hind-sight) if you can make things worse by handling the situation the wrong way? I am planning on seeking this woman out for a discussion sometime in the near future... hopefully I'll know how to handle the situation by then.

***More to come on my long day of meetings/presentations in a future post.***

No comments:

Post a Comment