Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Public Accusation

This posting is going to be hard to write. I don't want to slander anyone by writing this posting, including myself, but I feel that if I am going to be accurately documenting my RPP experience that I should post something about the situation that happened yesterday.

In my previous posting about productivity, I mentioned that I had posted a potential RPQ paper idea to my cluster on Moodle. I woke up yesterday morning to a response to that posting basically calling me a racist... a posting that due to the nature of the cluster forum is sent out to every member subscribed to the forum (in this case 9-10 people). I was floored, shocked, taken back, hurt, disgusted, angry, confused, etc, etc, etc.

The comment I had posted was very short, possibly only 3ish sentences, and were basically explaining that I wanted to focus my RPQ #1 on my Organizational Behavior courses, and that I really didn't know which direction to take it in, but that there was a mentality that was proving frustrating. The comment happened to have the word "progress" in it, which is a word containing a lot of issues (especially on the SIT campus) because of it's Eurocentric ties. I admit that I probably used the wrong term, but to have someone broadcast publicly that I am racist for my posting without even trying to understand what I was actually saying is preposterous to me!

The thing that is most upsetting about this situation, to me, is that the frustration revolving around the mentality I had mentioned in my posting was not even my frustration but the frustration of people with whom I work who happen to be of a variety of races, including native Hawaiians. Also that the mentality I was discussing is a organizational structural issue that involves people of many races and crosses racial lines, that isn't viewed as a racial issue here (as far as I know).

I spent the large part of my day drafting responses and emails to the individual involved, as well as my advisor (who had not stepped in even though the posting had gone out hours before I woke up). My response to the individual (and the rest of my cluster) was professional and clarifying. My email to the individual thanked them for their willingness to provide honest feedback but also express my hurt and disappointment in the manner they chose to do so (publicly, without attempting to seek understanding with me first, forming assumptions and accusations). And my email to my advisor was one of honest disenchantment with the forum process, how the situation had been handled thus far, and about cluster etiquette considering this cluster forum on Moodle is supposed to be a safe and supportive environment for ourselves and our peers to work together to empower/assist each other throughout our RPPs.

Needless to say I was exhausted by the end of the day, and completely unmotivated to continue doing anything connected to my practicum.

I received a response from the individual who had made the "racist" comment, and they apologized for the manner in which they handled the situation, but then chose to reprimand me and again lecture me for my terminology. I just received a brief response from my advisor this morning expressing apologies that this situation has put me in the position I am in, and wanting to discuss it with me further before he responds. I'm slightly concerned by what that means, but there is only one way to find out.

I hope this posting provides an idea of my day yesterday without slandering anyone involved, including myself. If any further information develops from this situation I will keep you updated, otherwise I will hopefully be able to lay this subject to rest and not speak further on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment