Thursday, October 14, 2010

Quick Summary

Okay... so I'm a little behind on my updating. Whoops! I promise I'll try to make this quick.

Meetings last week: The symposium was really interesting, but beyond the keynote address from Randy Taum, I didn't really get much out of it. It was too focused on science, ecology, oceanography, etc, etc, etc, and we were only there because we received a science service-learning grant through the Hawaii Campus Compact. The room we were in was over air-conditioned and I'm pretty sure that this was the cause of both Gary and I feeling under the weather this week. One last thing on the symposium... the majority of the powerpoint presentations were horrible! I don't mean to be rude, but after taking TDEL up at SIT and being properly trained in the art of powerpoint presentations, these just hurt. Even people who didn't know the specifics of how to present at good powerpoint presentation knew these were horrible! People reading off slides, having more text than a novel on each slide, horrible color combinations, too much flashy animation that distracted from the presentation, etc. These people need to seriously take Jennifer McClearen's powerpoint 101 lesson!

The second meeting was with the O'ahu County Livestock Leaders. They're a *fun* bunch. (Can you read the sarcasm?) Where to start? There was the woman who only wanted to talk about HER experiences in 4-H, there were the two newer leaders who were rude and talked through everyone's presentations then asked a bunch of questions about how they could change everything, there were the two university professors who were co-presenting - one a Nebraska native (ironically enough) who was actually kind of pompous about everything, and one who was the most unethical woman I've ever met, there was a leader there with his daughter and he kept arguing that he thought his daughter (who is only 12) should get to go to all these national events for high schoolers, and a few others who didn't talk much. I'm getting a headache just thinking about how that meeting went down. Let's just say it didn't go very well.

This week both Gary and I were under the weather (as previously mentioned) so I've been working from home. If I thought I was bored out of my mind before, I had no clue. Working from home is nice in the beginning because you have the freedom to do things at your own pace, you can stay in your pjs, you can take breaks and watch tv, you can take a nap, etc... but after a couple days of not getting out of the house I was going crazy! I am back at the office today, bored as usual, but it's nice to at least get out of the house.

I'm still freaking out about my practicum. I think I'll write a different post about this subject. Look for that to come.

Okay. This was a quick summary. I could go into subjects further, but you probably wouldn't read them anyway. If you want to know more details, just ask.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jenn,
    Every now and then I google myself to make sure there's not strange things with my name attached. Thanks for the PowerPoint props! :) Hawaii?!! Lucky gal!
    Hope you're well.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete