Friday, September 3, 2010

New Digs

I've moved. Yesterday was a short work day for me because we left early to move me over lunch (and so Gary and Karen could go to the Hawaii vs. USC football game). I mentioned in a previous post about how Gary had found me "permanent" living for my time here, and yesterday I officially moved. It's not that far from Gary's... actually it's right up the mountain. You would be able to see Gary's house from the one I'm staying in now if it weren't for another house blocking the view.

I am staying with an older couple - Mark and Helene - of which Helene is a 4-H alumni. They have another tenant named Tia (sp?) who is 34 and from Barbados. She works as a long-distance track coach for the University of Hawaii. The house is big, but under construction. It's literally in the side of a mountain so the front door is 65+ steps from the sidewalk. They have an elevator from their garage to their patio for heavy things (like my suitcase). My room is on the top floor (so more stairs) and has an AMAZING view! There wasn't a view at Gary's house because it was at the bottom of the mountain, but now that I'm up on the mountain you can see to the edge of the world, I swear!

I am a little wary of this new living situation, though, for one reason... the food. I know this sounds ridiculous, but hear me out. Gary isn't able to pay me for this internship, which is fine, but the cost of living is 'spency! To make up for this Gary is giving me a stipend of free housing, food, and regional transportation - which well then makes up for not getting paid, btw! When I was figuring out my financial aid situation I took all of this into account. For the first week here everything was going according to plan, but now that I've moved I'm not sure that I'm getting free food anymore. Actually, I'm not sure I'm NOT getting free food, either. It's weird. Helene said something about when I buy my food I can store it in different places and then she showed me a place where I could prepare food up on my level, but then told me all the cooking supplies (including a hotplate and microwave) were Tia's. She told me now that her kids are all grown up and have moved out she doesn't cook anymore so I'd have to scrounge for myself, but then later in the evening she showed me where the breakfast stuff was in the main kitchen and told me to make myself at home. I dunno. I'll figure it out. :)

Don't get me wrong! I'm not complaining! I am incredibly grateful for everything that I'm getting here and don't want to expect anything more than the bare minimum/essentials! It was just a cost that I wasn't expecting and it's a confusing situation to where I'm not sure if I have to pay for it or not. What I really just need to do is ask, but that's easier said than done. Beyond the food situation, I like it! :) It's a little further off the bus route, but walking never hurt anyone.

In other news... Hawaii lost to 14th ranked USC. I heard they put up a really good fight though! I also had my first Hawaiian rainbow sighting and it was a double rainbow! Not only that, they were both "complete" rainbows. Supposedly that's good luck! :D I took lots of pictures of my view and the rainbows and posted them all to Facebook, so if you're curious you can go check them out there. For now, I'll leave you with this...





No comments:

Post a Comment