Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Hawaiian Thanksgiving

I have to admit, it was difficult to be away from my family on Thanksgiving. I've only done so once before and that was when I was studying abroad in Europe. I can't tell you how grateful I am that Megan agreed to come stay with me over the holiday so I wouldn't be alone.

Gary and Karen were flying out to the mainland Thanksgiving evening, so with it being a holiday we kept things pretty chill. We got the chance to sleep in (which I'm always game for) before getting up and dressing fancy to go to Thanksgiving dinner at Zippy's with Gary and Karen. Zippy's may not be too fancy of a dining establishment, but Megan and I had cute Hawaiian dresses, it was warm outside (which it never is on Thanksgiving in Nebraska), and it was a holiday, so we figured we'd dress up. After a wonderful meal with Gary and Karen, we headed home to grab their suitcases and then take them to the airport. It was sad to see them off, but that meant that Megan and I were officially on our own in Hawaii - both a thrilling and scary feeling!

After dropping them off we went straight to the local grocery store to buy supplies for our own little Thanksgiving supper. Then I took Megan out to the scenic view-points Gary and Karen had taken me to the first weekend I was in town. It was so pretty, but entirely too windy! Also, we weren't dressed very properly (in our sundresses) for the excursion, so we ended it early and agreed to come back later. We went home to make dinner - which was an event unto itself - and afterwards watch the movie "Pearl Harbor" (because we're cheesy like that and also wanted to see it after going to the memorial the day before).


All in all, it was a great Thanksgiving... I'm still sad that I wasn't with my family (and I think Megan was too), but we were having the time of our lives in Hawaii so it made up for it a little bit. Basically, I am thankful for Megan this holiday, and for my blessed opportunities in Hawaii. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment