Sunday, August 29, 2010

Change in plans...

Today has been a relaxing day. I went to church with Gary and Karen. The sermon today was on service. I thought it appropriate that it was on service when I know Gary from my AmeriCorps*VISTA service focused in Service-Learning, and because I'm completing my internship with Hawaii 4-H which happens to be a service minded organization. Good signs, don't you think? I'm really excited that my practicum is with a service oriented organization. I've grown really fond of them and also very passionate about service/civic engagement in general. :)

This afternoon I got caught up on emails, posting photos to Facebook, going through 4-H information, and reading through (again) the requirements for my RPP proposal. I also chatted with my friends Elaine and Chris, as well as watched some anime (I know... weird, right?) before heading to downtown Honolulu for a Greek Festival. It was very entertaining. There were people line-dancing, which reminded me of when the group of Turkish students came to SIT and then had us get up and dance during their presentation at the end of their stay. I also had some delicious gyros and watched an older woman jump up on a table and start shaking her groove thang! Videos are posted on Facebook. You're welcome.

While at the festival I was able to have a in depth chat with Gary about overall plans for my time here. I found out that he and Karen are planning to head to the mainland over Thanksgiving. At first I was concerned because that means I'd be alone for Thanksgiving - which I'm not too keen on - or I'd have to spend a lot of money to go home to spend the holiday with my family just to turn around and go back in less than a months time. Gary assured me that their is a big Thanksgiving shindig at the University of Hawaii that I could go to, so if I stick around I could possibly do that. I'm currently working on trying to convince one of my friends to come visit... I mean, really, who wouldn't want to spend Thanksgiving in Hawaii?! One alternative is that one can hang out with their family and most likely have to deal with relatives they'd rather not deal with and/or be bored out of their mind at some point or another, OR another alternative is that one can come visit a friend in Hawaii and have an amazing vacation! Um... hello?!

Gary also informed me that due to the number of visitors they're hosting over the next few months, that they've found me alternative housing with the 4-H alum here in Hawaii. It's not that they're having a lot of visitors, but the way the visitors are spaced out and then the numbers coming a certain times (as in the same time) they just don't have enough rooms at hotel Heusel. That's fair. I'm deeply appreciative that Gary went through so much work to secure alternative housing for me that still wont cost me a thing! He also told me that I can utilize their extra vehicle when needed and can use their house over Thanksgiving (and anytime both he and Karen are away for work at the same time) since they'll be off to the mainland. The woman I'll be staying with apparently has a rather large 5 bedroom home, and rents out room to local college students from time to time. Currently there is another girl staying there. Her place is also only about 5 mins up the mountain from Gary and Karen's and on the same bus line. :) I hope everything works out well, and I'm sure it will. I can't complain too much about free housing in Hawaii. This also means that I will officially be here 6 months straight instead of taking January off and working through March (meaning I'll be here in January and February for those of you who need me to spell it out clearer). It's good to know, now I can start looking at flights home for the winter holidays, as well as start figuring out what I'm going to do come March!

So, slight changes in plans, but nothing horrible. I just thought I'd keep everyone posted since I've been getting endless text messages about the details of my duration here. I hope to keep hearing from all of you whilst I'm here! For now I'll settle for watching my future husband - James McAvoy (sa-woon!) - in Atonement with Gary and Karen. ;)

Til next time... Aloha po!

1 comment:

  1. You're very lucky to be living with kind and selfless people! Live it up - I'll be at your side soon :)

    ReplyDelete